Can a Study Permit be Changed to a Work Permit in Canada?

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Getting a degree from a designated learning institution is a great opportunity for you to work and settle in Canada. While completing your studies, you can start working in Canada. Changing your study permit to a work permit will depend on where you are at in your program.


Work along with Studies

If you are studying full-time at a designated learning institute in Canada, you are allowed to work part-time or even full-time.

If you have a study permit, you can work up to 20 hours per week or full-time during holidays. You do not require a separate work permit to work part-time in Canada; only your study permit will do. But it must be noted that your study permit must indicate that you are permitted to work in Canada. If your study permit does not authorize you to work or accept employment in Canada, you can apply to have your permit amended.

Some educational programs in Canada emphasize on the completion of internship work placement as part of the study program. You will be eligible to work full-time as a part of your studies if you meet the requirements for an internship work permit.


Changing Your Study Permit to Work Permit after completing your studies

Upon successfully completing your degree from a designated learning institute (DLI), you will be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit. Students completing graduation from a DLI are granted post-graduation Work-permit, which could be issued for three years.

The post-graduation work permit is not employer, occupation, or location-specific, which is one of the most significant advantages of a post-graduation work permit. These are also known as an open work permit.An open work permit allows you to work for any employer, in any capacity, anywhere in Canada.

After completing your study requirements, you will get a 180 days window to apply for an open work permit. You can apply for your post-graduate work permit from overseas or within Canada.


Applying For Work Permit before completing Studies

You can obtain a work permit in Canada before completing your credentials with the help of a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), except for a few exceptions. To get a work permit, you will need to work for a valid employer who will support your work permit application by securing an LMIA.

The LMIA is a validation of the fact that the employer could not find a permanent resident or citizen to do the job. A closed work permit can restrict your movement compared to an open work permit. A closed work permit is employer, role, and location-specific, unlike an open work permit, which allows you to choose employment according to your requirements and preferences.

It should be kept in mind that your study permit will cease to remain valid as soon as you stop studying. The information you are terminating your studies must be passed on to Immigration, Refugee,